AFC Commercial is a computer consultancy developing web-based solutions for commercial clients primarily in Northern Ireland. We specialise in working with the Plone content management system on the Zope platform.
The business started life in 1991 as a spin-off from Bangor Business Systems Ltd. Our focus has always been software oriented solving business problems through appropriate technologies.Most projects are based on either Linux or DOS platforms often networked together to create a corporate Intranet for clients. Recent and Current projects are mostly web-based.
Most of our clients are based in Northern Ireland
- Ulster Chess Union
- The UCU are responsible for organising, administering and developing chess in the Province of Northern Ireland.The UCU web-site is also based on Plone; we have done a lot of work integrating the Union's administrative tasks into the web-site.
- A rating tool designed to rate sportsplayers using a variety of techniques. Targetted specifically at chess and other board-games
- deploys the emerging technologies of fuzzy logic and parallel processing to achieve greater depth and accuracy in data matching. We provided support functions for the company especially their corporate intranet.
- Braemar Vet Clinic
- An ordinary veterinary clinic based in Belfast
- Pitch NI
- are a web-company promoting touring in Northern Ireland. Their new website also includes extensive work with Plone.
- An online database of Sports Bookmaker to help punts choose the best bookie for the bets
- is a community site promoting fine dining in Northern Ireland. We helped develop a complex data-driven website based on Plone
Additional projects and past clients are listed in the Clients section. Our client work has often led to the development of sophisticated software projects; in our Projects section you can find details of some of these.
Open Source Projects and Linux
AFC Commercial is committed to promoting Linux as the Operating System of choice. Recent development work has been based around Linux servers and work-stations. AFC was an early member of the Caldera (now SCO) Reseller Program; since then we have worked with SuSE & Debian and, most recently Arch Linux, Ubuntu, CentOS and RedHat distributions.
We are keen to support Open Source Software and actively support development of Cmenu, CMFSpellCheck and other projects. Details of these projects are available in the OSS section, many are available for download elsewhere on the web as well as from here.